Monday, December 10, 2007

Forest and Trees 2

I was spending some time in Ecclesiastes recently. Perhaps because I know I am getting a bad grade in one of my classes. D or F. Oh well. Can't say I tried hard enough. I can't say that my teacher was very good either. Its some combination of these two. I do better in harder classes but why? I do not know.

I stumbled across this section that applies to my view of science. It is what I had seen by experience like Solomon. It was just that it was more convoluted by what is actually known along the way. We can trace the source unlike him but it does not help. We are left with the same problem.


"When I applied my heart to know wisdom, and to see the business(science?) that is done on earth, how neither day nor night do one's eyes sleep, then I saw all the work of God, that men cannot find out the work (of God?) that is done under the sun. However much man may toil in seeking, he will not find it out. Even though a wise man claims to know, he cannot find it out." Ecclesiastes 9:16-17


The works of God always begin and end with God. All good science is circular like good theology. It flows back to the same source from which it came. It contains vainity that must be subjected to reality like theology. For theology this is the gravity of the cross. For science, this is the gravity of God's providence and infinite knowledge and wisdom in creating.

Finally, What is good is that men remember their creator and do what God commands. Life goes on either way.

No comments: