Thursday, November 22, 2007

Salvation and babies.

I have recently spent some time with a baby. They're interesting little people. It was from my interaction with one that this passage took on new meaning.

Mark 10:13-16
People were bringing these little children to Jesus to have him touch them, but the disciples rebuked them. When Jesus saw this, he was indignant. He said to them, "Let the little children come to me, and do not hinder them for the kingdom of God belongs to such as these. I tell you the truth anyone who will not receive the kingdom of God like a little child will never enter it." And he took the children in his arms, put his hands on them and blessed them."

Babies have a short attention span, at least so it seems as they crawl around exploring. It is not that short, especially when they are being held. Their attention span then seems to lengthen into ages, as they stare up at you from your arms into your eyes. (A baby happened to choose me to hold him for some reason, today. I do not know why.) He sat there contently staring up into my eyes. I had no choice but to return that gaze. My choices were to cherish him, or coldly look away with indifference from such a heartfelt gaze.

It is so with the gospel. You can intently look into the face of God and his salvation, or you can look away with indifference. Now people will look away with indifference because they do not cherish what is under their nose. This is not because salvation is so very far away from everyone or they did not understand it. It is their total depravity. It is not in their heart to care for such a thing. They would not return the gaze of God. This is not an act of their will for it grows tiring to stare into a child's eyes. It is easy to look away. I know I had trouble returning that gaze in all its intensity, especially from a child to whom I have no relation. This is first an act of the heart. For God's kingdom/salvation, a heart that can scarely love God is certain to look away. It can scarcely look unless God changes the heart from stone to flesh to respond. All natural men will look away with indifference if the Christ child were to be dropped into their laps. They could not care or cherish him. They find it much too difficult of an effort.

No comments: