Monday, October 08, 2007

Storyline of the Bible

I thoroughly enjoyed the seminar last Friday by Jeff. I saw the outline with "kingdom of God" and thought 'Oh, no this is going to be fullerism or Dispensational kind of crap.' Luckly it wasn't. He did not stress the holy nation aspect to the exclusion of a chosen race, a royal priesthood, and a people proclaiming God's excellencies.

He seemed to touch on the Exodus and similar instances in the OT as types of the things in the NT. It shows God's faithfulness to be increasingly gracious when the people deserve much less. When sin comes grace abounds. This often involves different types of the gospel. I have thought a lot on the OT along those lines. It was nice to hear it from someone else.

Furthermore, if you ask me what I learned I don't know if I can say that it was from Jeff. I was too busy following rabbit trails in my own thoughts with what Jeff said to know if he actually said it. Particularly in formulating my thoughts on the Covenant of Grace. In a way, The gospel is similar to previous exodus models but the inheritance is unperishable. It cannot be lost by corruption, he has put it in our hearts. Furthermore, the covenant of grace extends further into new creation in an already but not yet fashion. For we do not have this unperishable inheritance but an unperishable pledge.

This covenant involves election, a holy nation, a royal priesthood, and a people meant to proclaim God's excellencies. It is meant to contain a new israel, not based on works but grace, with much greater promises to a larger audience. It contains God's kingdom or rather God's intended purpose and relation for mankind. (Ever since Eden.) I might do a commentary on Romans 5 to discuss this further in a little while.

No comments: