Monday, October 29, 2007

God with a sense of humor

I have only lead one person to Christ. It was over an Internet chat so I cannot judge the effects in her life or the ripples of that event. Yet, I shall tell the story. For she would be one of those definitely born out of due time. The evangelistic effort was conceived in my sin and in God's providence. It was from a two hour conversation in an online video game.

I was wasting time on Guildwars last winter break. I had been convicted of my laziness prior but I did not really care enough to do something productive. This thought sat in the back of my mind for I was busy in my sin. The one thing interesting about Online Games is that occasionally a random topic is discussed in a chat channel. This one was about how the decorations for the winter holiday were christian. Since I am not the biggest seasonal fan, I said that they were pagan. (For they are pagan! Its just that Christians have tried to attach symbols to them.) The conversation started from here. The details are below. Its long and convoluted but I am remembering it a year later.

I get a random IM slightly off topic asking "Why do people hate your religion?"

I answered something like "because they traded the truth of God for idols and want to be God themselves." I did not even try and start a conversation. She agreed with the response and I think asked something else. We then started to talk about God. It was not long after that She said was a rabbinic Jew and had read the bible many times. Her name was something foreign like Sahge but she was from NY.

She also said something like Jesus was not the Messiah. It was from here that I drew her out on what is necessary for atonement. Without the shedding of blood there is no forgiveness. It lead to talk about the day of atonement and the temple system. I discussed original sin and the christian doctrine of atonement throughout. It was not just contrition that causes sins to be forgiven. We talked about Jesus/blood being necessary. And that Christ necessarily had to be God. She tried to refute me many times but luckily I was able to knock down every argument. She realized that rabbinic judaism is not from the Bible. She abrupted ended the conversation by simply not replying to a question I asked back. This could have been the end.

I took the opportunity to pick up a bible and bring it to the computer. Throughout this time, I was like "ummm is this really happening." God must have a wry sense of humor to give me the opportunity to evangelize in the midst of my sin. I prayed decent amount as I was typing to her. It was shear providence. She finally returned and appologized for being rude. She said I was stubborn like her sister. I asked if her sister was a christian. She said yes.

Then she said "I don't know what to believe now." I said, "Well, We worship the same God. He still exists. It is just that I believe more things about Him than you." From here I transitioned from Christ as God back to atonement. I typed over Romans 3. She seemed to understand where I was coming from after the long discussion earlier. It was apart from the law because the law was impossible. I gently pressed her toward accepting Christ here but she was the one who took the initiative. She was the one who asked "how do I..." I said, "Accept christ." I thought it a bit strange to even ask how.

I told her about access in faith through the blood of Jesus christ. (*Apart from rituals of OT.) I then quoted Romans that talked about how the word is near. That one should confessing with their mouth and believe in their heart that God raised Jesus from the dead. She did this in prayer or aloud I dunno. I then asked if she had a Bible with a New Testament. I told her to get one from her sister and to read John first. I also told her to go to church with her sister if she could. I tried to give her as much advice as I could for not being there. The night had wore on till like 2:30-3:30am for both of us. She asked me to pray for her Jewish mom, and her agnostic Dad. She had a heart for them. That is my only evidence of regeneration. We said goodbye and went to bed.

I talked to her once the next day but it was very brief. I have never seen her since. I did not tell many people after coming back to knoxville about it because I knew I might have to be accountable to them in discussing my video game habits. I feel that I aught to get it out there now. I am still wasting too much time on the computer doing pointless things. Facebook etc. Just less video games. (I don't feel bad about wasting time on my blog though. I want to be more prolific.)

Now, I have the memory of God in his providence dropping a conversation that I didn't ask for into my lap amidst my flagrant sin. A memorable conversation in that lead toward me pointing my first person toward christ. It was not my doing anyways. I knew this far too well from the felt absurdity of God using me in that moment dropping the easiest evangelism ever possible into my lap.

No comments: