Saturday, February 09, 2008

Bearing Each Others Burdens



I've watched Band of Brothers today. It was a large downer at points. It did not glorify war or the army. It showed me how everyone gets wounded by sin, pain, and death. These wounds are not just physical. They are also emotional. These wounds are from the staples of living in a fallen world. We are shielded from it cause we are far too comfortable in our homes. We are too caught up in civilian pursuits. Yet, life is war. We are at war with the Devil and the sons of disobedience. No one will come away from the battles unscathed. No one is left unhurt by the world.

I understand what being emotionally wounded means by things of this world. I've been emotionally wounded by sin, over and over. I was wounded by being teased and made insecure in grade school. It turned me inward and into a stoic. I am now finding that a few of my emotions had died. These emotions are returning. In fact, some of these emotions for me are new. They help me color the world instead of seeing just black and white. I understand it all so much better. I've let my wound fester for too long out of pride. I'm not going to follow some self-help crap about it though. Whatever care I receive is going to be God's care and the care of my brothers in Christ. Let us learn to bear each other's burdens. Let us learn to pick each other up and carry men back across the line to Christ who is the great physician of us all. He is the only one who can heal. Luckily, I have true friends who would not shoot the wounded like some are accustom to doing for people who are in my position. For that, I am eternally greatful. Those who would shoot the wounded walk as enemies of the cross.

No comments: