Sunday, September 30, 2007

Peace for a weary soul

I didn't do much this weekend. Among the list of things I didn't do: sleep. The worst part is the fact that I have little to show for how I spent my time staying up. Sin was heavily at work in this part of my life. The devil has temporarily moved his fight out of lust into sloth. (How it is strange that one's sin and depravity often turns into a game of whack-a-mole.) I know this shift has happened but I have not been convicted of sloth yet. I will pray for such. Even without godly repentance and conviction, by God's grace I have been spared from the full effect of this deadly sin, spiritual apathy.

This weekened of sloth ended with me going to setup and church exhausted. (Awake for 24hours is not the best way to attend to church.) Luckily there is grace for the weary soul. It is a sweet grace. This grace is magnified when one's weariness is shown to be merely physical rather than spiritual. This grace is spiritual. (Otherwise, it would be called caffiene.) Today was one of those days that I was in a half awake state. Occationally, this state is surreal. It is close to a dream but very much rooted in reality. The feeling is a close cousin is contentment. Yet, the surreal feeling comes from the yearning and experiencing of comforts. How the discomforts are magnified when one is tired and the comforts are disproportionately the same. Yet, being tired sometitmes helps me to better relish these sparce comforts that I find along the way, especially those that come through faith.

Everyone knows what being exhausted and weary feels like but understand that God has appointed a time for sleep. It is for our good. Tired people easily yearn for the time at which they can retire. Yet, it is different that suffering for that time to arrive. I can be at peace without stress for I do not doubt that I will rest later. Likewise, God has ordained a spiritual rest for us all. Faith tells us this. I look forward to the sweet day on which I shall rest from my santification in the beams of heaven's light. I know that this time of rest shall is in the future. Let us get through peacfully wait through this last day without falling asleep so that we greet Christ from afar. Let us recognize that a little grace and Holy Spirit can go a long way.

No comments: