Saturday, September 01, 2007

Lesser things, New music.

I like some modern christian music. Usually modernized hymns from Jars of Clay or Sovereign Grace but I don't discriminate heavily. I like diversity of music sources. I just haven't got into Shane and shane.

CCM is surprisingly more reformed than what I had thought. Reformed people are more vocal perhaps? This music lead to my own 'reformation' to a small degree. (Maybe some artists are experiential calvinists but don't know it yet.) I like songs only because of their words. This means that I can't stand Casting Crowns. I am sorry guys, not even if I listen to their big money instruments and great musical talent. The words are lacking.

I might as well make fun of my own self-identified 'denomination.' about modern music here. I use denomination loosely, only because I break denominational barriers all the time. Most traditional reformed baptists would have thought it blaphemous if Jesus was ever shown dancing to CCM. (or with anything but a KJV in his hand.) Needless to say, I am not a traditional reformed baptist unless you count my theology to be the same as that of Spurgeon or Bunyan on such 'worldly passions'. Well Heck, Spurgeon smoked a cigar for the Lord. Someone might as well sing and dance for the Lord if they are to do anything for the Lord.

It is inappropriate for church but not sinful in and of itself. The fear and legalism from reformed baptists at large is perhaps from an age old stigmatism of being called heretics like the quakers. From all that I have read these quakers were also quite the shakers. With this said, I am tired of modern dance in any church. It is a gross abuse of entertainment in the church. It is also fruity. All things should be content driven not fluff driven.

In closing, I find it is strange that Christians like those in CCM shift toward reformed spirituality at times when moved only by faith. It is not to surprising since Reformed Theology has the only explanations for some things in the Bible. I have yet to hear a good understanding of God being a faithful shepherd going after lost sheep and never losing them from an Arminian. Or about the effective intercession on behalf of all who Christ died for. (If Christ died for all universally why is he not interceding for them universally after he ascended? These two things are of the same event. They are both actions of Christ acting as high priest when he sacrificed himself on the cross/altar in heaven.

If you say these actions should be seen as seperate then it is in denial of Hebrews on the matter. If Christ intercedes effectually by virtue of his blood and God doesn't act. Then there is a breakdown of the trinity. The verses dealing with his death and intercession are both interrelated. Read Hebrews 10. Then Read what Christ prays for in John 17. Maybe we reformed folk are just more vocal at saying what the Bible actually says. Or maybe the Protestant Arminians are wanting to have their cake and eat it too.

No comments: