Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Persuasion

I can explain something logically and thoroughly until the cows come home, but some will still never be persuaded. Some will not care. I have been wondering if I would be better off ringing aloud the bell of truth rather than resting upon on the erosion of the ocean tide in proving something.


To what degree should I be fast, strong, and concise with my statements.
To what degree should I be thorough, steadfast, and calculated.


It is hard to strike an appropriate balance since I cannot decide if I should be defensive or offensive in stating things that have been suffiecently proven in the past almost as fact. Or in stating things that are suggestive but not proven.
I would have little trouble if I did not feel also feel that I had to prove the same eternal doctrines as the people who preceded me theologically.

Do I have someone's shoulder to stand upon or do I need to build something up myself these days. This impasse shows up in the problem of retaining an orthodox. Am I to establish orthodoxy or Am I to maintain it? I side with BB Warfield. I have more problems with people who are perfectly content with orthodoxy than with those who will test it against the Bible and their theological system.

Fixing orthodoxy in places like the emerging church seems to have this two-fold problem. There are some who openly attack it. It would seem that their position need to be eroded from under them. There are others who just need their convictions awoken to truth.

I am taking up some old drafts for some work. Ironically, this is one of them. They are likely next on my list of updates. Ultimately, the reason boils down to how much logic do I wish to use to prove my position? Or how much conviction do I wish to show on their behalf?

In all of this, I am sure on the presentation of the Gospel. It needs to be sounded off to people. It is not something that people need to hear a complete and calculated presentation of logic in support. The Gospel is something needing to be heard concisely and with the strength of conviction. It is in these other things that I have not yet considered what persuasion is appropriate. Or even if the use of persuasion is appropriate.

No comments: