Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Spiritual baptism

Charismatic theology has some influeces into baptistic theology. Unfortunately, they are very nebulous. They often break apart Ephesians 4:5, one baptism. It is not discussed enough but I find that this appearant inconsistancy that needs to be examined. This is really an extension of the line of thought I had at VQ06. I was using strictly a presbyterian heurmanic. This makes it impossible to accept the third wave anwser to spiritual baptism. Only at conversion. Yet, i know that this need not be the case.

I cannot resolve Acts with a third wave approach because I arrive at what I see are greater errors. I cannot just allow a second wave approach to call it two baptisms either. I cannot allow such for i am not strictly second wave. Nor do I hold a strictly pentecost understanding of the occurance. I am pre-charismatic in similarity to bunyan. Also, the second spiritual baptism cannot any more be a sign of regeration than water baptism is. Yet, spiritual baptism is distinct from both of these as a sign and as a grace.

I hope to spell something out more specific on this baptism. As well as relation between the three. We know how water and regeneration are related. Spiritual baptism cannot be the weird uncle in this match. It is related in some means too. I am afraid I may walk new ground in part of my justification of 'one Baptism' but I see no other way. This is for later posts though.

I am not as far away as I thought from what others have said over a particular verse. In short, the Presbyterians are in error here in one part of their covenantal theology if spiritual baptism is thrown into the mix. Yet, I dare not take a dispensational approach on discussing the newness of the spirit at pentecost. I believe that is in error. I rather believe it has been poured out throughout time in the covenant of grace. But specially at pentecost.

Finally, my last thought on water baptism. I have no strong opinions about immersion other than it is more preferable.*

No comments: