Friday, October 27, 2006

Translation and Books

For Translations: NASB, ESV, and the KJV (which is on computer). Sometimes I break with these and go straight for the Greek. By this I mean, translater notes with Google or Strong numbers. I don't know Greek. Nor will I pick it up. Occasionally, I will find the literal greek to be more helpful in a literal study of a word. The John 3:16 is about this to a degree. (still working on it.) One thing seems to be standard. Keep the verb tense the same when you translate!!!! NIV gets on my nerves about this particularly in its Equivalent translation. You can blame English to Greek for this problem too but that doesn't let NIV off the hook.

I use the NASB and ESV for studying and reading in print. I use KJV and ESV on my computer if I wish to do heavy exegesis since they function with concordences, cross-links, Matthew Henry's commentary, and Strong numbers. All of which are very handy. KJV is nice but its day is about past.

I am no crazy person who believes Jesus spoke Elizabethian English. There are those... I like the NASB a wee bit better anyway. ESV is better also for reading aloud. (but I don't like having to look at some of the foot notes for the greek saying!)

I am working on my little collection of books. I don't know if I will add much more unless the opportunity presents itself without double reading a topic. My studies into topics are at least on par with some of the authors. I might be better off writing a book soon. Or reading just the Bible (like I did all of the summer of 2005).

Peace out.

No comments: